Find out more about our decontamination training in Glasgow this May
NEW! Diploma in healthcare science - sterile services pathway (L2)
Eastwood Park is pleased to offer a new apprenticeship programme in partnership with Dynamic Training.
This Diploma in healthcare science (level 2) is focused on delivering safe patient care in technical support roles in hospitals, general practice and other healthcare settings and all areas of healthcare science. It is ideal for Sterile Services Technicians.
The Healthcare Science Assistant (HCSA) contributes to patient safety across all care pathways from conception to end of life in job roles.
HCSAs perform a range of low risk, routine technical and scientific procedures usually within one broad area of HCS, following specific protocols and in ine with health, safety, governance and ethical requirements. HCSAs work using standard operating procedures, initially under direct supervision but eventually with experience, under indirect supervision.
Programme qualifications & requirements
- the Diploma in healthcare science (L2) must be achieved before proceeding to end point assessment, to meet the Healthcare Science Assistant standard
- level 1 or 2 English and mathematics must be achieved prior to proceeding to end point assessment
- a portfolio of evidence must be completed and available for end point assessment
For more information, click here
This apprenticeship takes a minimum of 12 months to complete during which you will participate in training, development and on-going review activities.
- induction specific to your workplace
- study days and training courses in work time
- mentoring/buddy support
- completion of a portfolio through which you gather evidence of your progress
- structured reviews of your progress and development
Delivered in partnership with Dynamic Training...
Dynamic Training is an apprenticeship and bespoke training specialist for the health, care and business sectors. They support many NHS Trusts, working across community, acute medicine and primary care.
Dynamic Training is an approved training provider and is on the national register of apprenticeships training providers (RoATP).
NB This apprenticeship is only available with funding in England currently.
Hospital engineering apprentice summer school
Eastwood Park's apprentice summer school covers five days of residential training, developed in collaboration with a number of hospital trusts.
The school aims to fill the gaps in the standard engineering apprenticeship skills framework with a broad introduction to a wide range of engineering disciplines operating within a medical/healthcare environment.
Apprentices benefit from a stimulating mix of theory and practical learning covering:
- electrical installations in medical locations – an overview, including electrical safety (Section 710 BS7671)
- medical gas safety – an introduction, with a practical focus on cylinder handling (HTM 02-01 Part B section 7)
- electrical safety testing for medical equipment – (in accordance with IEC60601 & IEC62353)
- the purpose of ventilation and critical ventilation systems in healthcare - (HTM 03)
- lifts - an understanding of the types of lifts, and the regulations and legislation relating to them
- water hygiene – fundamental knowledge of water hygiene including Legionella management (HTM 04)
- decontamination & sterilization equipment – an overview of decontamination engineering support
It is suitable for students on mechanical and electrical apprenticeships and has City & Guilds accredited programme status. The week also includes evening group activities including clay pigeon shooting (weather permitting).
Missed our summer school this year? Register your interest for 2019 and we'll add you to our waiting list for next year.
Many healthcare organisations and their contractors are facing challenges in establishing how to spend the new apprenticeship levy being imposed upon them by the government.
A better understanding of how to use apprenticeship programmes and funding to ensure these form part of an on-going career plan will bring maximum benefit to your organisation.
Eastwood Park can help you further but needs to know if you:
- are already part of a Trailblazer group, or would you like to be, working towards new healthcare engineering, FM or support services apprenticeship standards?
- are aware of local Trusts and their contractors who want to work together as a consortium to deliver healthcare apprenticeships?
- or your approved training provider/college is seeking complementary specialist healthcare training to top-up the more general training initially/currently provided?
We can support your apprenticeship development activities in a number of ways.
We would be categorised as a subcontractor to you/your consortium/your approved training provider delivering specialist healthcare engineering, FM or support services training and vocational qualifications for both Advanced and Higher Apprenticeships. Please note, Eastwood Park is not on the RoATP (Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers), but we can still help.
If you would like to talk to us further about how we could support your approach to apprenticeships then please contact Amanda Marfell, in the first instance. Call +44 (0)1454 262777 or email us.