Classrooms are available for theory learning and group exercises (close to training laboratories when practice activities are included).
Is this course for you?
This course is for engineering staff responsible for directly managing, overseeing or auditing safe systems of work within the scope of Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR) for boiler or other stored pressure mechanical systems.
This course will give you the knowledge and skills to support the decision of appointment to Authorised Person (Mechanical) and to implement and control safe systems of work relating to boiler and stored pressure mechanical systems defined under Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR).
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Identify key aspects of legislation during implementation and control of safe systems of work
- Explain fundamental physical properties of relevant fluids and the associated equipment and systems (Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000)
- List the function of key components and safety features on stored pressure mechanical systems
- Identify hazards/risks and their control measures through production of suitable and sufficient risk assessment documentation (JSP 375)
- Source information detailing operational arrangements, procedures and documentation for safe isolation and safe systems of work from JSP 375 and recognised safety rules and procedures
- Explain the defined roles holding operational appointment and list key responsibilities for Authorised Person (Mechanical) and Person in Charge (Mechanical)
- Explain the selection and implementation of isolation methods and other safety measures through completion of a safety programme and statement of isolations, permits to work and standing instructions
- Explain the importance of familiarity with site installations and site-specific procedures and the requirement for demarcation agreements
- Explain how conflicts between the requirements of statutory regulations, safety rules and procedures and any local rules should be resolved
This course has City & Guilds accredited programme status.