The decontamination labs feature a range of decontamination and infection control equipment.
Is this course for you?
This course is aimed at National Health Service staff or contractors required to carry out periodic testing of surgical instrument washer-disinfectors employing thermal disinfection as defined in NHS guidance (CFPP, SHTM, WHTM).
To provide delegates with the necessary skills and procedural practices to apply the requirements of BS EN 15883 parts 1 & 2 and NHS guidance.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain the principles of decontamination in healthcare sterile services
- Identify relevant technical standards and NHS guidance publications
- Explain roles and responsibilities of key personnel involved with washer-disinfectors
- Explain general operating requirements for various types of washer-disinfector
- Calibrate and use thermometric measuring and recording equipment
- Undertake and evaluate water hardness and conductivity tests
With specific reference to washer disinfectors employing thermal disinfection:
- Undertake and evaluate reference load thermometric tests
- Verify calibration of installed temperature instrumentation
- Undertake and evaluate cleaning efficacy tests (residual & applied soil)
- Carry out automatic control tests
- Complete a quarterly periodic test and report to NHS Guidance requirements
- Identify additional BS EN 15883 quarterly tests
- Reference and describe periodic testing procedures up to annual level
Prerequisite to attending the course
A basic working knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering principles.
On completion of this course you will have gained the knowledge and skills necessary to carry out periodic testing on washer disinfectors.
WTM1 is a prerequisite for all the following courses:
If flexible endoscope washers are being tested:
Consider the following for steam testing:
Eastwood Park, Falfield, was formerly the NHS national training centre for healthcare engineering and now, as an independent company, we are the leading provider of technical healthcare engineering training in the UK.
This course has City & Guilds accredited programme status.
Following a review of the new government guidance we want to reassure you that the essential training booked at Eastwood Park for the coming weeks is going ahead as planned.
We are operating a COVID-secure environment and will be seeking the co-operation of everyone attending to strictly adhere to these arrangements throughout their stay and we will continue to carefully monitor the situation.
Visit our COVID-19 page | COVID-19 policy | COVID-19 risk assessment
How long will you hold provisional bookings for?
Provisional bookings will be held for one week (7 days) from the date of booking.
As we are facing a high demand for course places, we kindly ask you to confirm your place as soon as possible.
If you do not confirm this booking within this period, unfortunately we cannot hold the place for you and the provisional booking request will be removed from the system.
What kind of decontamination training does Eastwood Park offer?
Eastwood Park offers decontamination courses that fit into 3 main categories – for operators, management courses and engineering validation and testing.
What course should I take if I’m new to decontamination?
Our Introduction to Decontamination (IDO) course is ideal for anyone who has a need to know about decontamination but who is not familiar with it, providing you with a broad, high-level understanding of the purpose and constraints on decontamination practices and in particular the role of the sterile services department (SSD) in the broader healthcare setting.
Do I need to bring any documents with me?
Your joining instructions will state whether you need to bring anything with you to your course.
How do I find out your course availability?
To book one of our courses, call our sales team on +44 (0)1454 262777. Alternatively fill out the enquiry form on our website, after which we will contact you as soon as possible.
What are your terms & conditions?
You can view and download our booking terms and conditions here.