The decontamination labs feature a range of decontamination and infection control equipment.
Is this course for you?
This course has been devised to meet the needs of those taking on the role of Decontamination Lead as specified in current NHS guidance.
Please note, if you do not have operational experience of medical device decontamination management we strongly recommend you attend IDO - Introduction to decontamination operations (to NHS guidance). Please ask our Sales Team for more information.
To provide you with the required knowledge and skills to perform the role of Decontamination Lead.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Explain the principles of decontamination and the importance of performing the decontamination process as set out in relevant guidelines
- Identify and reference the appropriate guidelines that relate to aspects of decontamination
- Explain the importance of infection prevention and control in relation to decontamination
- Understand the function and audit requirements for different types of decontamination equipment involved in the decontamination process
- Recognise the guidelines that apply to the management of equipment and environment involved in the decontamination process
- Explain the principles of audit and have an understanding of how to perform an audit within a decontamination area
- Identify the training needs of staff working within decontamination
- Understand the value of a quality management system in the management of decontamination and its associated risks within a healthcare environment
- Implement an effective means of monitoring compliance in relation to decontamination within a healthcare environment
- Identify and manage the risks associated with decontamination
- Understand the role of the Decontamination Lead and the expectations in terms of regulations and guidelines
- Understanding the principles of business continuity in relation to decontamination and how to ensure it is embedded within an organisation
Please note this course is necessarily quite intensive and requires that you be familiar with the guidance documentation. In particular you should be familiar with the latest NHS guidance for medical device decontamination applicable in your region which can be downloaded from regional sites for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Eastwood Park, Falfield, was formerly the NHS national training centre for healthcare engineering and now, as an independent company, we are the leading provider of technical healthcare engineering training in the UK.
This course has City & Guilds assured programme status.
How long will you hold provisional bookings for?
Provisional bookings will be held for one week (7 days) from the date of booking.
As we are facing a high demand for course places, we kindly ask you to confirm your place as soon as possible.
If you do not confirm this booking within this period, unfortunately we cannot hold the place for you and the provisional booking request will be removed from the system.
What kind of decontamination training does Eastwood Park offer?
Eastwood Park offers decontamination courses that fit into 3 main categories – for operators, management courses and engineering validation and testing.
What course should I take if I’m new to decontamination?
Our Introduction to Decontamination (IDO) course is ideal for anyone who has a need to know about decontamination but who is not familiar with it, providing you with a broad, high-level understanding of the purpose and constraints on decontamination practices and in particular the role of the sterile services department (SSD) in the broader healthcare setting.
Do I need to bring any documents with me?
Your joining instructions will state whether you need to bring anything with you to your course.
How do I find out your course availability?
To book one of our courses, call our sales team on +44 (0)1454 262777. Alternatively fill out the enquiry form on our website, after which we will contact you as soon as possible.
What are your terms & conditions?
You can view and download our booking terms and conditions here.